Why Choose Dr Taneja?
- Dr Taneja has extensive experience of routine and complex cataract surgery.
- His extensive training and long surgical experience enables him to select the appropriate lens and refractive outcome for his patients.
- He trains the next generation of ophthalmologists and retinal surgeons in routine and complex cataract surgeries.
What are Cataracts?
- A cataract is a cloudy crystalline lens. The crystalline lens of the eye is normally highly transparent and helps to focus light on the retina.
- Loss of transparency of the crystalline lens degrades the image formed by the eye, leading to loss of clarity, glare and sometimes distortion.
- Cataract surgery is a day procedure, taking approximately 15-20 minutes to complete.
- Cataract surgery is generally conducted using local anaesthesia.
- Cataract surgery is performed as a day procedure and patients are discharged home following surgery, though you will be unable to drive yourself home and it is recommended that you have a friend or relative with you to help with the journey home. Your first post-operative visit will be the day after surgery.
- During the surgery, small incisions are made into the eye and the cloudy lens is emulsified (broken up) in the eye using ultrasound energy. A replacement acrylic intraocular lens is then inserted into the eye and permanently fixed in place.
- Majority of patients have improved vision following this surgery.